Saturday 2 February 2013

Everyone Loves A Musical!!



As we know everyone has gone a bit musical mad of late, since the release of Tom Hooper's Les Miserables, and since being a fan of the film myself I thought I would take 5 minutes and create a musical inspired blog. I have decided to pick my favorite 5 songs from musical films. 
Well I have to start somewhere and why not with what happens to also be my favorite film of all time.

The Nightmare Before Christmas – Poor Jack

So every song in this film is brilliantly written (and in some cases even performed) by Danny Elfman. You may think that I would have chosen "What's This?", "This is Halloween" or the totally brilliant "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" but no I go for the song that has the most heart. After being blown out of the sky, Jack Skeleton sings of his disappointment in himself for not being able to pull off Christmas and as the song begins he sees what has happened as his own fault. As the song progresses and picks up pace the real Jack starts to shine through. He begins to see that he was only trying to help out, and as he rips the Christmas clothes off we can see that he is back to normal and ready to save the day!!


Singing in the Rain - Broadway Melody Ballet

"Singing in the Rain" maybe a bit of an obvious choice, but what can I say I like my classics. No, I'm not going for the title song, but the song that I think stands out the most. Compared to the other tracks of the film "Broadway Melody Ballet" is bigger, more colourful and feels like it over shadows everything else in the film. In my opinion that works because it breaks up the action before we go into the last act and shows that with a musical you can get away with nearly everything, including a period musical that has a modern day dancer travel back in time to the cavalier days. Grace Kelly launches into a song and dance number in a massive studio warehouse, including tap dancing and gangsters with stupid big coins that they seem to have trouble flipping!!



The Muppet Movie – Pictures in my Head

The Muppets have been around for a long time, and everyone knows they like a good song! It just so happens that in their newest adventure on the big screen, Bret McKenzie (One of the Flight of the Conchords) wrote some amazing songs for them to sing, including one which creates a great nostalgia for the Muppets of the 70's TV show. Yes I know Jason Segel's script was a love letter to the Muppets of yesteryear, but I think that is made so clear in this song. Well who does not want to get back with old friends?? 


South Park Movie - La Resistance

Since seeing Les Mis it is clear to see where Trey Parker and Matt Stone got influence for this song. Everyone loves a stirring anthem and with this tune bringing together the other songs from the film, I think it has an impact as much as “One Day More” does in Les Mis. Yes OK it may not be as serious as the issues are in Les Mis, but it is still as riveting and I remember as a 12 year old boy buying the album for the South Park Movie (as I was too young to see it), and listening to that song on repeat, shortly followed by “I’m Super”, not really sure why??!!

     
High School Musical 3 - Scream

OK, so this choice is something a little different for me, but well if you can't beat them, join them!! High School Musical may not be as popular as it was 5 years ago, but there is something I did and still do like about them. Troy (Zac Efron) has the best solo songs and even though his angry jumping around a golf course is simply brilliant, it is High School School 3 that had the best Troy Bolton song. "Scream" has a great little moral to it for the kids, but it is the fact that it has hundreds of badly CGI basketballs, a thunder storm and a revolving room which makes it so unmissable. Zac Efron tries his very best to show off his skills of anger and confusion but what is quite interesting is the little flairs he allows to escape. Like the ballet jumps on to the screen and my favorite by far is his manly head banging up a flight of stairs finished off by a girly little run up the last few steps!! O Troy you are such a man!!


BONUS TRACK, Shrek 2 – I Need a Hero

Ok, I know this is not really a musical, but I'm including this as a bonus track. Shrek 2 has a few musical numbers but the final track steals the show. As Shrek battles his way into the castle to save Fiona, the fairy godmother sings the track "I Need a Hero". The action to the song works so well and the comedy just tops it off!!





No comments:

Post a Comment