Monday 22 October 2012

Comic Book Monday - Captain America - The New Deal Review

When I started University, I did not really have an interest for the world of comic books. Yes I was a fan of comic book films, but I had never really explored the original source material. It was not till I met people at Uni and in my places of work that I started to read all types of comics. At the beginning of this year Marvel released a fortnightly graphic novel collection that features 60 of the comic book giants best work. As soon as I saw this I was interested and thought it was a great way to read a lot of the Marvel Universe. I have not been mistaken so far, as I have read some great tales, but have also struggled with some boring and uninteresting yarns. As a new comer to this world I thought I would share my thoughts on some of these books for other new comers and anyone who is interested in the colourful worlds of comics. I have decided to start with "The New Deal" a story involving Captain America. 


Captain America is a soldier, a war hero and an icon of justice for America. So it makes total sense that you 
would create a story arc around September 11th, but of course you would not have the Cap (big mates) breaking through the cave ceiling of Bin Laden’s hideout and beat the living crap out of him that is too obvious! But what happens in “The New Deal” is just a little lame, it is too picture heavy and there is not enough dialogue, and to be honest by the time I made it to the last chapter and the reveal of the big bad, I was bored and did not really care, so much I had already forgotten most the story and what the point was (and it was a quick read)!



The opening was good, seeing the Cap stand amongst the rubble of the fallen towers and trying to help find the people trapped is what you would expected from an American Icon. To then turn around to Nick Fury and tell him that being part of the rescue at ground zero is more important than the mission he is being told to leave New York for, makes you realise how much his home country means to him. It sums up the character in a nutshell and makes him a very powerful image for the United States. It’s a shame then that the rest of the book falls flat, giving none of the other characters any depth at all! Nick Fury just seems a bit of a bastard and like I said before I find it hard to recap on anyone else as they were so forgettable.

So to sum it up there are much better Captain America comics, like the "Winter Soldier", and maybe they should have just had the Cap find Bin Laden and beat the crap out of him, it would have been so much more entertaining!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment