Wednesday 24 October 2012

Wednesday Film Review - The Toxic Avenger


So for my first Wednesday Bad Film Review I decided to start with a real classic. This film is one that I remember best from my childhood, not that I saw this film as a kid but I owned an annual of the Cartoon series that came from it. I talk of “The Toxic Avenger” a film created by the B movie studio Troma and the film which they use as their studio logo! To be honest I had not even seen the film till a couple of days ago and you know what, that was a real shame. Yes, it is a god awful but that is its charm. The only real problem with the film is the acting but again that is half of the joy, it creates most of the comedy and that is what makes it so watchable. The hammed up, cheesy characters make you want to know what they will do next, and breaking the characters up and giving them all an average time on screen allows none of them to become too annoying.

I loved what I took as comments on society, like comparing the police to Nazi Germany and hinting that psycho paths are Christians!! The homemade effort was also something that worked for the film and built on the character of the piece, my favorite part being the Mushy Pea nuclear waste, with other close competitors including the breathing dead dog and the montage of building the house in the swarm. 

The special effects, I loved!! Maybe because it reminds me of the fun we have on “I am Tim” with the slow cost effects, but like “Tim” they still looked pretty impressive, like the head crushing weights and the transformation from Melvin to the Toxic Avenger.
True it made no sense why the policeman’s hands caught fire when touching Melvin, why the Toxic Avenger’s voice changed so much and the fact that at the end no one questioned if the Major was evil or not! Apart from that the story was reasonably solid and never became boring. I look forward to checking out the sequels and over Troma Films!

Acting 4/5

Cheesiness 4/5

Overall 4/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment